Blog Archive

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Why I wear hijab

    


     As-salaamu alaykum! As I considered what I wanted to talk about this week, women’s rights just kept coming to mind. As I am working with some of my fellow sisters on a Ladies’ Night discussing women's rights, it is really no wonder it is on the forefront of my attention. There are many, many rights for women in Islam, and I am looking forward to many more mental meanderings on the very subject in upcoming blogs. This blog post will expand on an earlier Facebook post I authored on this very subject.


  As a woman, who has the right to freedom of religion (constitutionally but more importantly from Allah subHaanahu wa ta`alaa), it is particularly important to me to understand what my own faith has to say about what my rights are and how I as a woman, should be treated. I have never been more impressed with the rights afforded to women than those guaranteed by Islam. I know, I know… some of you are screaming at your computers right now, “what about the Taliban’s treatment of women?” or “Look at this nation, or that one, and how they treat women!” No argument from me that there are examples of female oppression and that they need to be addressed. When I say rights guaranteed by Islam, however, I am referring to what is stated in the Qur’an and Hadith, not how some people interpret or practice Islam.

     This time around I would like to talk specifically about my experiences with the hijab (an arabic word meaning “barrier” or “partition”). It is undeniably one of today's hot topics after all and is touted as one of the most significant visual examples of female oppression. While "hijab" is often used in reference to the female headscarf, it actually refers to the overall modest dress of a Muslim, male or female (that's right gentlemen, in Islam, you must be modest as well). When I began exploring the Islamic dress code, I, like many, focused first on the headscarf. Quickly, however, I found myself taking a second look at my entire wardrobe. I began to examine what I wear, and why.

     In Islam, a man is expected to respect a woman and not look at her or lust after her (unless they are married). She has a right to her privacy and to not be treated as an object. Allah encourages a woman to cover herself, because, let’s face it guys, some of you can’t help yourselves. When a man looks at a woman (who is not his wife) with lust, it is considered a sin, not only in Islam, but Christianity as well. In essence, when we cover ourselves, we do so not only to respect ourselves, but also as a mercy to men- to not deliberately draw a man into sin. If he does so regardless of our efforts, the sin belongs to him. Hey, brother, at least we tried.  

     I also learned, and found very fascinating, that hijab is not just a means of being modest when out and about. it is also a statement of our faith. The Qur’an says “O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not harassed. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful” (Quran 33:59). This simply increased my love of hijab and made my wearing it an even greater honor.

     Just as someone may sport a jersey from their favorite team to declare their fealty to that team, hijab is an outward statement that says I am a woman of faith- that I am a Muslim. While that sentiment certainly exists in the hearts and minds of many women who do not wear hijab, the hijab acts as a clear outward indication of the inward commitment. This is true of men and women. Men are not as easily recognized as Muslim because their dress code is such that western clothing often suffices; however, when a man is identified by his clothing as being Muslim, that bears the same significance. He, like his female counterpart, is sending a message to the world that he dresses to please Allah subHanahu wa ta'alaa.

     The question still remains: am I oppressed by choosing to cover my body when in public or in the company of males to whom I am not related? I ardently argue that I am not.  I have never felt more confident in my life than I do now, since I began dressing in accordance with Islam. Despite what the media and fear mongers say about how I dress, I do not feel oppressed. I feel set free. I don’t know about you but I would much rather have someone’s first impression of me be “Wow! That woman is really religious,” or even an awkward glance and acknowledgment that I am Muslim before looking away than some running internal dialog about my body type, dress size, or whether or not I work out.

     Think of it this way: people display things they want to show off for many reasons. Maybe it is a big house, or a sports car, or a work of art…  But the things that are most precious to them, the things they believe to be most valuable above all their other possessions, they lock in a safe or hide in a shoe box in the back of their closet: Grandma’s pearl necklace, Grandpa's pocket watch, family photos... You get my drift. They are those things that cannot be assigned monetary value because to the individual, they are irreplaceable. My body falls into that category.  It is a gift to me from Allah subHanahu wa ta'alaa and is so precious it is, quite frankly, not available for public viewing.

As-salaamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu! (may peace be upon you and the mercy of God and His blessings!)

1 comment: